Michal Kawulok, D.Sc.
Institute of Informatics
Silesian University of Technology
Research Gate profile
Google Scholar profile
- face detection and recognition,
- gesture recognition,
- machine learning,
- support vector machines,
- evolutionary algorithms,
- medical imaging,
- image colorization.
Analysis of the local features similarity in digital images, applied to human skin detection and image colorization, 2015.
Selected methods for improving automatic face recognition
(supervisor: prof. Bogdan Smolka), Gliwice 2007.
Managed research projects:
Most important papers:
- M. Kawulok, J. Nalepa, and J. Kawulok, “Skin detection and segmentation
in color images,” in Advances in Low-Level Color Image Processing, M. E. Celebi
and B. Smolka, Eds., vol. 11 of Lecture Notes in Computational Vision and Biomechanics,
pp. 329-366. Springer Netherlands, 2014.
- M. Kawulok, J. Kawulok, and J. Nalepa. “Spatial-based skin detection using
discriminative skin-presence features,” Pattern Recogn. Lett., vol. 41, pp. 3-13,
- M. Kawulok, J. Kawulok, J. Nalepa, and M. Papiez, “Skin detection using spatial
analysis with adaptive seed,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP
2013), 2013, pp. 3720-3724.
- M. Kawulok, “Fast propagation-based skin regions segmentation in color images,”
in Proc. IEEE FG, 2013, pp. 1-7.
- M. Kawulok, J. Kawulok, and B. Smolka, “Discriminative textural features for image
and video colorization,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, vol. 95-D, no. 7,
pp. 1722-1730, 2012.
- M. Kawulok and J. Szymanek, “Precise multi-level face detector for advanced
analysis of facial images,” Image Process., IET, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 95-103, 2012.
- M. Kawulok and J. Nalepa, “Support vector machines training data selection using
a genetic algorithm,” in Statistical Techniques in Pattern Recognition, S+SSPR
2012, vol. 7626 of LNCS, pp. 557-565, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012.
- M. Kawulok and B. Smolka, “Texture-adaptive image colorization framework,”
EURASIP J. on Advances in Signal Process., vol. 2011, no. 99, 2011.
- M. Kawulok, J. Wu, and E.R. Hancock. “Supervised relevance maps for increasing
the distinctiveness of facial images,” Pattern Recogn., vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 929-939, 2011.
- M. Kawulok and B. Smolka, “Competitive image colorization,” in Proc. IEEE Int.
Conf. on Image Process. (ICIP 2010), 2010, pp. 405-408.
- M. Kawulok, “Energy-based blob analysis for improving precision of skin segmentation,”
Multimed. Tools and Applications, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 463-481,2010.
- M. Kawulok, “Dynamic skin detection in color images for sign language recognition,”
in Proc. ICISP, vol. 5099 of LNCS, pp. 112-119. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008.
- M. Kawulok, “Optimization of face relevance maps with total classification error
minimization,” in Proc. ICIAR. 2008, vol. 5112 of LNCS, pp. 935-944, Springer
For a full list of publications, please see my CV.